Saturday, June 29, 2013

GREEN SANDWICH WRAPPERS

So there you are... sometime early in the morning trying to pack a lunch for yourself or a loved one.  You poured your cup of coffee, mostly into your favorite mug, but don't have time to sip it.  There are a hundred things to do just to get together a sandwich and apple; one of them is: grab yet another plastic baggie or 'zip bag' (eh-hem Ziplock -eh) out of the pantry or drawer... but, oh no!  You're out!  Worse yet, you've filled up a goodly amount of the local landfill already this year and it's only June.  At least you can sip your coffee while you eye up the tin foil... the freezer paper...the terrifying plastic container (Ahhh.. Tupperware, choo) and lid cabinet... What could you do to turn this destructive cycle around!?

That's it!  Make these adorable earth friendly sandwich wrappers!







I'll show you how in three easy steps or less.  

#1) Save those bags.  I realize sometimes you can turn in an empty bag for a cup of coffee, but if you buy fresh and less expensive straight from a certain store (I can't say Starbucks, it's copy-righted), you can't redeem those anyway, so save those precious bags.

#2) Cut off the bottom, peel it open at the seam and cut around the rectangle to just trim off the gluey parts.  Don't be too concerned with perfect dimensions, but make sure to peel off the twisty tie thing and the freshness circle.  I also rounded the corners for a more uniform effect.



This BLT looks so elegant on this handy 'plate'
  

#3) Place 3 slices of bread in the center of the wrapper at an angle.  This gives you the approx dimensions of a sandwich.  Practice wrapping it up kind of like a burrito.  Fold down the top, then fold up the bottom, then I kind of tuck as I fold in the sides.  This shows you where to stick on the self adhesive 'hook material' squares.  (Can I use the word Velcro, or is it copy righted?)  

Hip, hip, Hooray!!

These things make an awesome plate for picnicking on your lunch hour!  Enjoy!



All kinds of Tips:

Use two squares of 'hook material' on one corner of the side folds for an adjustable sized wrapper.   I alternated use of two of the softer components of these squares with use of two hook components to most evenly use my materials.   Sometimes I eat big sandwiches.  :) 

My first attempt at this craft ended in a too small rectangle, so it is functioning as a veggie or brownie or cookie wrapper.

I tested the ability of the wrapper to keep food fresh by leaving my 'template' bread slices in a few over night.  Not only was the bread fresh, but I realized it was easily accessible to assemble the sandwiches the next morning; twisty ties aren't my friend first thing in the morning.

While you have the self adhesive 'hook material' squares out, why not use them to keep salt and pepper or other containers in place in lunch boxes?  My hubby has one of those manly construction type boxes in which everything gets thrown all around resulting in a mess if he wants any condiments at all. 

You know those concentrated drink flavor bottles (I can't say Mio, can I?) that you use to squirt into water to make it taste like a sugary drink? (I CAN'T SAY KOOL AID!)  The containers are great for on the go!  Fill them with mayo, ketchup, mustard, dressing, hot sauce, taco sauce, even hand sanitizer... just make sure you label them.

No comments:

Post a Comment